Privacy Awareness Week
St.George is a proud partner of Privacy Awareness Week (PAW) 2015. PAW is an initiative of the Asia-Pacific Privacy Authorities, held every year to promote awareness of privacy issues and the importance of the protection of personal information. Personal information is information or an opinion that identifies or could reasonably identify you, whether the information or opinion is true or not.
The theme for 2015 is Privacy everyday. Consider:
- How often do you think about your own privacy when doing everyday things online?
- Do you ever think about the information you make public, and who can access it?
- When was the last time you read the fine print on a website before clicking accept?
It’s about you and the choices you make every day. Here are some tips from the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner to help you protect your own personal information:
- Read privacy policies and notices and know your rights
- Always ask what, why, how and who — this will help you to know what personal information is being collected, why it is being collected, how your personal information is going to be used and who it may be disclosed to
- Protect yourself online
- Use appropriate security software for your device
- Be careful what you share on social media
- Don't leave your personal information easily accessible to others — consider switching to eStatements
- Beware of scams
More information on your privacy rights is available at www.oaic.gov.au/PAW.