Closing your credit card account
Things to know before closing your credit card account
- Closing your account means that you will no longer be able to use your physical and digital credit cards to initiate payments. Some transactions (such as recurring payments that we are unable to cancel on your behalf) may be processed on your account if you have not cancelled these. You will still need to pay back these transactions and other amounts you are liable for.
- Only the primary cardholder can close a credit card. In the case of Joint Account holders, either of the Joint Account holders can close a credit card.
- Check your credit card account balance in online banking and pay any outstanding amounts.
- Once you initiate the credit card closure process an indicative payout figure will be provided. The indicative payout figure provided may not include all pending transactions, interest accrued, recurring payments or transactions that remain unprocessed and may be charged to your account between the date and time you initiated your credit card closure and your next statement date.
- If your account has a credit balance when it is closed by you or us, we may:
- transfer that amount to another account in your name that you hold with us, and/or attempt to contact you to return the amount.
- You also have the option of supporting a worthy cause by using your balance to make a contribution to a nominated charity foundation.
- You can close your credit cards online (steps provided below). The credit card closure confirmation letter can take between 5 - 10 business days to reach you by mail depending on your address. If you are opted into digital communications, you will receive your closure correspondence within a shorter timeframe.
- Please Note: If further transactions are posted to your account after your statement date you will be liable to repay these amounts.
- If you have a St.George Rewards credit card, you will no longer be able to access your Rewards Point Portal to redeem your points once you submit your account closure request. Any unclaimed Reward Points will expire 90 days from the day you initiate the account closure. If you wish to redeem your points (after initiating card closure) you will need to call the St.George Amplify Rewards Centre – 1300 489 586 (8am – 8pm, AEST, Monday to Friday excluding National Public Holidays). Amplify Terms and Conditions apply.
Things to know after closing your credit card account
- If you had a St.George Rewards credit card, you will need to call the St.George Amplify Rewards Centre – 1300 489 586 (8am – 8pm, AEST, Monday to Friday excluding National Public Holidays) to access and enquire about any remaining Reward Points. Amplify Terms and Conditions apply.
- If you have set up recurring payments, we may be unable to cancel these on your behalf. Please cancel these payments and any other regular payments you’ve authorised on this credit card account. You will remain liable for charges you authorise before you request cancellation, including any recurring payments that continue to be processed until you withdraw your authorisation from the merchant. These transactions will incur interest until the balance owing is paid.
- Fees and interest charges will be incurred for as long as there is an outstanding balance on your credit card account. These charges need to be paid in accordance with the terms and conditions of your credit card contract until the outstanding balance is paid in full.
- If you pay the indicative payout figure provided in full, but further amounts are debited to your account that you are liable for, you will receive a further statement that includes that remaining balance. Please look out for this and pay any outstanding balance to finalise your credit card closure, if the balance is not paid in full, fees and interest charges will be incurred for as long as there is an outstanding balance on your credit card account.
- We will continue to send you statements in accordance with our credit card terms and conditions until the outstanding balance on your credit card account is paid in full.
- Continue to check and monitor your statements and credit card account balance in online banking and pay any outstanding amounts.
How do I close my credit card?
You can close your personal credit card account in Online Banking or the St.George App.
Using a Mobile Device
- Sign into the St.George Mobile banking app.
- Tap on the credit card you want to cancel.
- In the Account View, tap on the Services menu.
- In the Services menu, tap on Close account.
- Continue to close credit card account.
- Select your preferred reason for closing the account and tap Continue.
- Select the credit card account you wish to close and tap Continue.
- Tap on Confirm closure.
Your card will be automatically removed from any digital wallets it is currently added to and you cannot make transactions with that card using your device.
Using a Desktop Computer
- Sign into St.George Internet Banking.
- Select My Accounts and click on Card services in the Manage My Accounts menu.
- Select the credit card you want to close and continue to close the credit card account.
- Select the reason for choosing to close your account.
- Click on Continue with account closure.
- Click on Confirm account closure.
Your card will be automatically removed from any digital wallets it is currently added to and you cannot make transactions with that credit card using your device.