18 March 2019
St.George kicks off footy season with $100,000 in grassroots grants
St.George fires up community footy with new grant program
- St.George Bank has brought together the St.George Illawarra Dragons, St.George Queensland Reds and GWS GIANTS to launch the inaugural St.George Footy Grants program
- Up to $100,000 will be awarded to the people and clubs helping to make grassroots footy stronger
- Applications for the program are now open at stgeorgefootygrants.com.au
For the first time, three footy codes will come together for a cause. Today, St.George Bank and its football partners - the St.George Illawarra Dragons, St.George Queensland Reds and GWS GIANTS - have launched the inaugural St.George Footy Grants program.
The program will award up to $100,000 to help remove barriers to participation and encourage clubs and individuals to kick-start their footy journey across New South Wales, Queensland and the Australian Capital Territory.
General Manager for St.George Bank Retail, Ross Miller, said: “We know Aussies love to play sport, and support their favourite team. Community is at the heart of what we do at St.George, and we’re proud to offer this opportunity to help everyday Aussie families and the local clubs they support to grow.
“Launching just in time for the footy season, we are proud to work alongside our football partners, the St.George Illawarra Dragons, St.George Queensland Reds and GWS GIANTS, to help strengthen grassroots footy and make it the best it can be for Aussie communities. We’re looking forward to hearing about those doing great work to help support local footy or that might need a helping hand,” he said.
Local footy clubs, amateur players and fans (including family, friends and volunteers) have been invited to apply or nominate for a grant that would help benefit their community on or off the field.
For New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory residents over the age of 13 years old, applications and nominations are open until 5pm AEST on Monday 13 May, and should outline how the grant funds would assist you in playing rugby league or AFL, or how it would help to support footy teams in your local community.
For Queensland residents over the age of 13 years old, applications and nominations are open until 5pm AEST on Monday 22 April, and should outline how the grant funds would assist you in playing rugby union or how it would help to support rugby union in your local community.
To nominate, apply or find out more information visit: www.stgeorgefootygrants.com.au.
FROM THE PLAYERS
- St.George Illawarra Dragons front-rower, James Graham, said: “At the St.George Illawarra Dragons, we are passionate about helping and inspiring rugby league communities across our region. The St.George Footy Grants program is a great way to get involved with the rugby league spirit and nominate a deserving friend or someone in your rugby league community who could do with a helping hand.”
- St.George Illawarra Dragons NRLW back-rower, Kezie Apps, said: “One of the best parts of playing for the Dragons is having the opportunity to give back to the people who have supported us along the way. When we run onto the field, the first thing we see is the crowd there to support us. We can’t wait to see the nominations for the St.George Footy Grants program and give back to the community that gives us so much.”
- St.George Queensland Red’s captain, Samu Kerevi, said: “As a team, our roots are tied to local clubs across Queensland who make up some of the most passionate footy fans in the country. We are proud to be able to support local Rugby clubs and players of tomorrow through the St.George Footy Grants program, which helps provide the essential funding needed by many clubs and open up opportunities for more people to get involved.”
- St.George Queensland Women’s XV vice-captain, Lori Cramer, said: “I am so lucky be part of a local club that comes together to enjoy Rugby but also to support each other on and off the field as a community. This program will give others the opportunity to be part of that by helping to remove the barriers to participation.”
- GWS GIANTS captain, Phil Davis, said: “Without a doubt, the most important part of any AFL team is the community behind it. On behalf of the GWS GIANTS, we are so proud to be supporting the St.George Footy Grants program and can’t wait to see local clubs, players and members of the footy community across NSW and the ACT get involved.”
ABOUT THE ST.GEORGE FOOTY GRANTS PROGRAM
St.George Bank and its football partners - the St.George Illawarra Dragons, St.George Queensland Reds and GWS GIANTS - have launched the inaugural St.George Footy Grants program, donating up to $100,000 to the people, clubs and communities helping to make grassroots footy stronger. Applications for the program are now open at stgeorgefootygrants.com.au.
Applications and nominations are open until 5pm AEST on Monday 13 May for applicants in New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory, and Monday 22 April for applicants in Queensland.