directshares lets you buy and sell shares, warrants, options, ETFs and managed funds online – with competitive fees per trade and the latest research at your fingertips.
- Get 10* free trades when you open a share trading account before 30 June 2015
- Our brokerage rates start from just $19.95*
- We have a dedicated Australia-based call centre to answer all your questions
- Free, detailed ‘how to trade’ guidance on our Investor website
- Manage your tax reporting with our free standard Tax Tools
- It’s free to open an account and there are no account keeping fees
- Link your eligible# existing cash account with your directshares account to view and manage your funds.
If you currently bank with St.George, BankSA or Bank of Melbourne, you can use your eligible deposit account1 to settle your trades. Alternatively, you can also apply for a St.George Margin Loan to maximise your trading opportunities.
Value for money
Pay only when you trade, with low, competitive online broking fees. Access independent research and account information any time from around the globe, with your portfolio information, favourite trading tools and the latest market news all at your fingertips.
Extensive range of investment tools, including independent research and timely stock tips
Make your own investment decisions backed by all the information you need:
- easy-to-use Education Centre for those new to buying shares
- up-to-the-minute research compiled by a range of independent research houses
- directshares Power, one of the market’s most sophisticated trading tools, ideal for experienced, active share trading.
Proactive tax management
Receive a FREE summary report on your account’s income and realised CGT in a single downloadable PDF. Proactively manage your tax throughout the year with our Plus and Premium subscription services.
Talk to our experienced Customer Assistance Team from 8am to 8pm (AEST), trading days on 1300 133 500, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
There’s an extensive selection of Australian Shares to invest in, with over 2,200 companies currently listed on the ASX.
Options are a versatile product that allows you to buy protection against a market fall, earn extra income by selling an Option, or generate leveraged returns if the market increases.
Exchange Traded Funds are just like managed funds, except they’re listed on the sharemarket. You buy and sell units in the fund itself, so it can be another easy way to get started at minimal cost.
Through IPOs you can gain exposure to companies when they are first introduced on the market.
directshares SharePacks can be an easy and affordable way to purchase a diversified portfolio of 8 shares from different industries. They are chosen by a consensus of analyst recommendations and updated weekly. You can invest from as little as $5,500.
Managed funds are professionally managed collective investments which pool investors’ money. You can access a wide range of managed funds across various asset classes, including fixed interest, property, Australian shares and international shares.
Self Managed Super Funds (SMSF or DIY Super)
Benefit from greater freedom through managing your own superannuation investment. Through a SMSF, you may also benefit from a greater diversity of investments options and potential cost savings.
A warrant is a derivative that is issued over an underlying instrument such as a share, index, currency or commodity. They can be a good way to diversify your portfolio and can provide increased returns while reducing risk.
Why switch to directshares?
Use your St.George, BankSA or Bank of Melbourne account
If you bank with St.George, BankSA or Bank of Melbourne; you can link your eligible deposit account to settle your trades.1
More affordable trading
Trade shares from as little as $19.95*. You only pay when you trade and it costs absolutely nothing to become a directshares customer.
Tools to enhance your trading
Stock Tips and Trading Tools
Take advantage of premium, cutting-edge tools designed to help you get ahead, such as stock filters, sector analysis tools, stock valuation tools and company comparisons.
- Professional trader platform
Active Traders can benefit from our professional-standard platform, directshares Power. It boasts sophisticated tools that can deliver the market to your desktop in real time
- Personal service
Tired of waiting on the phone? We’re here to help if you ever need a real person to answer your questions. Click here for our contact details
- Proactive tax management
We take the headache out of tax from your share trading activity, with three levels of tax support available
- Free independent research.
directshares customers can access a range of independent research from leading experts:
- Aspect Huntley
- AAP The Ferret
- The Intelligent Investor
It’s simple to switch to directshares
If you have an existing account with another online broker or a stock broker, it’s easy to transfer your securities to directshares. To get access to the full benefit of directshares trading platform:
- Complete the online application
- Arrange a transfer of your Broker and/or Issuer sponsored holdings
- Send in any required documentation.
About online share trading
Buying and selling shares can be an exciting and rewarding way to build your wealth. Whether you’re building a portfolio to pay for a holiday, a deposit on a home or support you in retirement, investing with directshares can help you on your way.
Anyone over the age of 18 can trade stocks online via directshares as long as they have $500 (plus brokerage), a computer, an Internet connection and an eligible St.George, Bank of Melbourne or BankSA bank account.1
How will directshares help me get started?
Free independent research
directshares provides access to a range of independent stock tips and research from leading experts:
- Morningstar - Aspect Huntley research and financial information on the Top 200 ASX listed companies. Over 30 years experience
- AAP The Ferret - Real time news and information about Australia’s Equity markets and a collection of company announcements, daily features and broker research
- FatProphets - Value based recommendations combining fundamental and technical analysis for the medium to long term investor
- The Intelligent Investor - Independent, long-term, value investing analysis on the Top 200 ASX listed companies and other selected opportunities
- Wise-Owl - Quantitative, Fundamental and Technical Analysis coupled with risk management techniques, to select the opportunities we call 'stocks on the move' or the 'blue chips of tomorrow'.
We provide a wide range of financial news to keep you up to date with breaking developments, company announcements, share prices and all of the latest information:
- ASX Company Announcements
- Finance News Network videos
- Dow Jones Australian News
- Dow Jones International News
- AAP Australian News.
Most commonly traded stocks Lists
Check out what other directshares customers are doing. We provide a list of the most bought, sold and held stocks amongst directshares clients.
We make it easy for you to buy shares online and offer everything for the first time investor:
- Getting started in the sharemarket
- Understanding the sharemarket
- Weekly sharemarket basics articles from the Intelligent Investor
- Guides to investing from the Intelligent Investor
- Fundamental Analysis tools and how-tos
- ASX resources
- Education on our products and tools.
Value for money
Enjoy our fully-featured platform, our great range of trading tools and up-to-date independent research. All from as little as $19.95* per trade.
Remember, you can access our tools for free, just by becoming a directshares customer. You only pay when you trade.
Our standard brokerage rates (inc GST) for trading ASX-listed securities via the internet are:
Trades per calendar month
Up to $5,000
$5,001 - $10,000
$10,001 - $28,000
2nd & subsequent
$19.95 for trade value up to or equal to $18,000 or 0.11% for trade value greater than $18,000.
* Conditions apply. See below for details:
1. Offer applies to new directshares customers who open a directshares account via the 'Apply now' button on this page between 30 November 2014 to 30 June 2015.
2. Offer only open to residents of Australia and New Zealand.
3. Offer is not available to employees of the Westpac Group or E*TRADE Australia Securities Limited or their immediate families.
4. Offer is not valid in conjunction with any other offer.
5. Brokerage will be waived for your first 10 online share or ETF trades where the trade value is up to $45,454 and the trade is made within 30 days of your directshares account being opened. Where your trade value for any one of your first 10 online share or ETF trades is over $45,454, the first $50 brokerage (including GST) will be waived for that trade and you will have to pay the additional brokerage at directshares' standard rates. Free brokerage is up to the value of $500 (incl. GST).
6. The $19.95 brokerage rate will apply for the first online trade up to $5,000 and each subsequent online trade up to or equal to $18,000 for that calendar month. For full details, visit rates and fees.
7. You can use most St.George, Bank of Melbourne or BankSA deposit accounts to link to your directshares broking account. If you are unsure if your account is eligible call 1300 133 500. Ineligible accounts include Maxi Saver accounts, Fixed Term accounts, Sense Savings accounts and Business Access Saver accounts.
8. The minimum value of shares you can purchase in one company through directshares is $600, plus brokerage.
9. There are no monthly account-keeping fees or subscription fees in relation to a directshares broking account. An account maintenance fee may apply. For full details visit rates and fees.
10. The offer only applies to ASX-listed equities conducted online through the directshares service, but excludes options, warrants and managed funds.
11. The directshares SharePack is not included in the offer.
12. The offer does not apply to trades that will settle through a margin loan account.
13. The offer does not apply upon failure to settle any trade.
14. We reserve the right to terminate this offer at any time.
15. We reserve the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time.
This information has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation and needs. Because of this, you should, before acting on this information, consider its appropriateness, having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs.
The © directshares service is provided by E*TRADE Australia Securities Limited ("E*TRADE Australia") ABN 93 078 174 973 AFSL No. 238277, at the request of St.George Bank - A Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL No. 233714 ("St.George"). Execution, settlement and clearing is undertaken through E*TRADE Australia. St.George does not represent E*TRADE Australia. Similarly E*TRADE Australia does not represent St.George.