Why choose a St.George margin loan?
Guide to St.George Margin Lending
A margin loan lets you borrow money to invest in shares, managed funds, master trusts and wraps. This is also known as gearing. Just like investing in property where the loan is secured against the property, you margin loan is secured against your shares, managed funds, master trusts and wraps. A margin loan gives you more to invest, and you have the potential for bigger returns. Find out more.
Margin lending can offer a range of benefits including:
- Bigger returns. A margin loan gives you more to invest and you have the potential for bigger returns.
- Unlock the equity in your existing investments. Raise cash for investment purposes without having to sell your investments
- Support your retirement goals. Investors may use a margin loan as a means of building their wealth for retirement.
- Greater diversification of your portfolio. Spread your investments across a broader range of assets to build a more diversified portfolio.
- Margin lending can be tax-effective
- Interest paid on your loan is generally tax-deductible.
- Interest can be paid up to 12 months in advance and you may be able to get an additional tax deduction for the prepaid interest in the current financial year (subject to your ability to satisfy the tax prepayment rules).
- By borrowing against your existing portfolio, you may increase the size of your investment without having to sell your existing portfolio and potentially create a capital gains tax event.
- Australian shares often generate franked dividends, which yield imputation credits that may be used to offset other tax liabilities.
You can also select from the following features …
Our Learning Centre has been developed to give you a better understanding of margin lending and to help you consider it is appropriate for you.
Interest rate options
We offer a tiered interest rate structure including Variable Interest Rate (in arrears) and Fixed Interest Rate (in advance) from 3 months to 5 years.
Writing call options gives you the potential to earn additional income from the investments in your portfolio. St.George Margin Lending allows you to write call options using your margin lending facility.
10.33% p.a. $0 to $249,999.99
10.08% p.a. $250,000 to $499,999.99
9.83% p.a. $500,000 and over
Fixed Interest Rates (up to 12 months)
9.05% p.a. $0 to $249,999.99
8.80% p.a. $250,000 to $499,999.99
8.55% p.a. $500,000 and over
St.George Bank - A Division of Westpac Banking Corporation is the issuer of the St.George Margin Lending Margin Loan Product Disclosure Statement (“PDS”). This information has been prepared without taking into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. For this reason, before acting on the information you should consider its appropriateness to your objectives, financial situation or needs and consider the disclosure documents which include the PDS. The PDS and other disclosure documents are relevant when deciding whether to acquire or hold this product and can be obtained by calling 13 33 30. Applications for credit are subject to the issuer's prevailing lending criteria. Terms and conditions apply to the product.