Make tax time less taxing
Take tax step by step
Tax time can be a bit of a head-spin. That’s why we’ve created seven simple steps to help you get it done fast, so you can put your feet up sooner. We’ll even remind you when and how to complete them.
Tax help synced straight to your calendar
Set yourself up in a few clicks. Simply download the calendar reminders below and you’ll get handy notifications over the next few months, each giving you a little nudge to complete one simple tax step.
Seven steps to sorted
Check that your personal details are complete and up to date (including your tax-residency status). Details that don’t match the ATO records can cause processing delays.
How Australians tackle tax.
77% of us receive a refund.**
Those are some good odds, so stop putting it off.
$2,112 is the average return.**
In case you were wondering how yours compared...
33% claim charitable deductions**
Get generous and experience that feel-good factor.
26% of us do our own tax**
DIY is probably much easier than you think!
How do my claims compare to other Australians?
36% claim $0**
34% claim over $1,000**
20% claim under $500**
10% claim between $500 and $1,000**
Already on track?
Here's some extra tips.
- Save time by exporting transactions. You can export your transactions from Internet Banking as a .pdf or Office Excel file for when you need them. Simply log on and click ‘My Accounts’ > the account you want to export > your preferred file format and ‘Export Transaction History’.
- You can create DIY printable summaries. It's easy to download or print a summary of your account balance, or a statement of recent transactions, on St.George letterhead. Here's how.
- Keeping detailed receipts isn’t always necessary. If your total claim for work-related expenses is under $300 you’ll need a record of the expense, but detailed receipts aren’t necessary.
- Living and working overseas? You’ll still need to lodge an Australian tax return including all foreign employment income and any other income you receive from that country.
- Own a rental property? Be aware that you can only claim expenses for the period of the year the property was available for rent.
- After more info? There’s a wealth of information, tools and helpful resources available on the Australian Tax Office website.
*Transaction history: The amount of transactions you can view varies depending on the number of transactions you’ve performed. Find out more.
**Australian Taxation Office Annual Report 2013/14, Australian Taxation Office Annual Report 2014/15, Australian Taxation Office Annual Report 2013/14,
MoneySmart poll, August 2015 (n-2124).
This information should be used as a guide only. It does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and you should consider its appropriateness before acting on it. We recommend that you seek independent legal and tax advice about your specific circumstances.
Before using Internet and Phone Banking, please read the and before using Mobile or Tablet Banking please read the Mobile Terms and Conditions.
© 2018 St.George – A Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714.