Home and Contents Insurance
With three levels of cover to choose from – Essential Care, Quality Care and Premier Care – we can help ensure you have what you need to rebuild, repair or re-furnish your home.
- Conveniently arrange your home finance and home and contents cover under the one roof with St.George1
- Our home and contents insurance covers a wide range of events from fires, storms, burglary or malicious acts, to explosions, floods, lightning, falling trees, even earthquakes
- Enjoy the added comfort of knowing any damaged belongings will be replaced with new ones, irrespective of age
- Optional Personal Valuables cover provides added protection for your jewellery and portable devices such as laptops and mobile phones
- Receive a 10% discount* off your annual premium when both your home and contents are insured under the one policy at the same address
- To get an idea of how much cover you need, visit stgeorge.com.au/calculators.
Cover to suit you
- Choose Building cover, Contents cover, or both to suit you - as a home, unit, holiday home owner or renter
3 levels of cover
- Choose from 3 levels of cover for your Building and/or Contents against loss or damage: Essential Care, Quality Care, Premier Care
Optional Personal Valuables cover
- Choose optional Personal Valuables cover to add to your Contents insurance to protect cherished jewellery, sporting equipment and portable electronic devices in and outside your home
Wide range of insured events
- Insured events in Building and Contents cover include fire, storm, burglary, malicious acts, explosion, flood, lightning, escape of liquids, falling trees or branches, earthquake and more
- New-for-old replacement regardless of age
Artworks and jewellery
- Cover for your artworks, collections, collectibles, jewellery and watches included; limits apply so list additional items on your Contents policy, or add optional personal valuables cover for your jewellery and watches
- Above and beyond your Building and/or Contents cover there's extra cover included
- Removal of debris, emergency accommodation, professional fees e.g. engineer, and an eco-friendly rainwater tank and solar hot water system in case of a re-build
Pay by the month
- Pay by the month with no monthly fee
How to reduce your premium
- Save on your premium if you qualify for one or more of these discounts; combining your building and contents on one policy, not making any claims (no claim discount), and having an Advantage Package home loan
- Some of your policy choices may also help reduce your premium; the higher the voluntary claim excess chosen, the lower your premium, a lower level of cover e.g. the premium for Essential Care is less than Quality Care, and installing security features (contents premium)
3 easy steps to protect your home and contents
For peace of mind that you've covered your most important possessions, St.George offers comprehensive, flexible Home and Contents Insurance. Secure your finance and your insurance under the one roof with St.George and rest easy knowing you're protected.
Step 1: Choose which cover you need
Choose between Building and/or Contents insurance, depending on whether you own a home, a unit in a strata title, or are renting. For maximum flexibility these are separate policies, so you can choose one or both (see Step 2) for each.
- Building insurance – covers your home Building against loss or damage
- Contents insurance – covers your Contents against loss or damage
- Personal Valuables cover – can be added to Contents policy for items you consider to be valuable or take outside your home.
Step 2: Choose the level of cover you want
With Building and Contents cover you can choose from three levels of cover.
- Essential Care - provides a basic level of cover to protect your Building and/or Contents against loss or damage
- Quality Care - covers your Building and/or Contents against loss or damage from a wider range of events, with additional benefits and higher limits of cover for your valuables
- Premier Care - all the benefits of Quality Care with the extra protection of cover for accidental loss or damage anywhere in Australia, with more benefits and even higher limits of cover for your valuables.
See 'Cover level' for what's included and the limits in each level of cover.
Step 3: Apply
It's easy to apply by calling us or applying online. We can assist you with the details to ensure you're protected today
See How to apply
Step 2: Choose your level of cover
To choose your level of cover, compare these key differences of the three levels of home and contents protection.
B = Included with Building cover
C = Included with Contents cover
|Insured events/cover||Essential Care||Quality Care||Premier Care|
|Storm, fire, theft, flood, lightning, malicious damage, and more||BC|
|Legal liability cover up to $20 million||BC|
|Jewellery and watches1||C||Up to $500 per item, $3,000 in total||Up to $1,000 per item, $5,000 in total||Up to $5,000 per item, $20,000 in total|
|Artworks, collections and collectibles1||C||Up to $3,000||Up to $10,000||Up to $20,000|
|Cash, cheques and money orders||C||Up to $750||Up to $1,250|
|Electrical motor burnout||BC||For motors up to 15 years old||For motors up to 15 years old|
|Accidental breakage of glass||BC|
|Australia-wide cover for contents temporarily removed from your home||C||Up to 20% of the contents sum insured|
|Accidental loss or damage||BC|
1 For more cover than the automatic limits, specify items or take out optional Personal Valuables cover.
In addition to the sum insured, your Building and/or Contents cover comes with additional benefits, making it easier for you to get your home back to normal. Some additional benefits are paid in addition to the sum insured and some are paid as part of the sum insured.
|Insured events/cover||Essential Care||Quality Care||Premier Care|
|Sum insured safety net*||BC|
|Demolition and removal of debris*||BC|
|Costs to comply with Legal or State authority requirements+||B|
|Fire Brigade and services charges+||BC|
|Emergency repairs and protection+||B|
|Purchasing a home+||B|
|External locks and keys||B||Up to $1,000||Up to $2,000|
|Rainwater tanks and solar hot water systems*||B||Up to $3,000||Up to $5,000|
|Modifications to buildings for paraplegia and quadriplegia*||B||Up to $5,000||Up to $10,000|
|Unsecured fixtures and materials during renovations+||B||Up to $2,000|
|Landscaping and garden re-establishment costs+||B||Up to $10,000|
|Contents moved permanently to a new site+||C|
|Temporary accommodation for pets*||C||Up to $5,000||Up to $5,000|
|Emergency storage of contents+||C|
|Funeral expenses*||C||Up to $10,000||Up to $15,000|
|Frozen food loss||C||Up to $500||Up to $2,000|
|Credit card loss||C||Up to $1,000||Up to $5,000|
|Contents in the open air at the site+||C||Limited cover|
|Contents temporarily removed to other places in Australia+||C||Limited cover|
|Contents in a bank safe deposit box within Australia||C||Limited cover|
|Contents in a commercial storage facility||C|
|Contents in transit||C||Limited cover|
|Veterinary expenses||C||Up to $500|
|Loss of computer records+||C||Up to $3,000|
~ limits and exclusions apply. Refer to PDS. Table applicable to new business cover dated on or after 26 October 2015. If you took out a policy before 26 October 2015, please refer to the PDS which is applicable to you at the bottom of this page.
* paid in addition to your home and/or contents sum insured.
+ paid as part of your building and/or contents sum insured.
Special contents and personal valuables
Within a Contents policy you have automatic, but limited cover, for jewellery, watches, artwork and collectibles that are usually kept in your home.
- To cover jewellery and watches totalling more than the limits, you can take out optional Personal Valuables cover.
- To cover artwork, collections and collectibles totalling more than the limits, you can list them as 'specified items' within your Contents policy.
How to claim
When something happens to your home and the things you love, we know you’ll want help fast. So making a claim with us is simple.
Step 1: Submit your claim
- To claim, simply call us on 1300 655 489 or click here to submit online
- If you prefer, you can print a paper form Home and Contents Insurance claim form and send it to us with supporting documentation
Step 2: You also need to...
- Advise the police immediately if the damage is malicious, property has been stolen or lost or your home has been illegally entered
- Don’t allow anyone to repair the property until we have had a chance to inspect it.
Step 3: Provide us with the following information
We’ll send you a letter confirming your claim and case number, plus any further information or documents we may need you to provide, such as copies of original receipts for items you’re claiming and the police report.
How long does it take to settle a claim?
If no further information is needed, we’ll settle your claim within 10 business days after receiving your documentation.
Like some help?
If you need to send in documents relating to your claim, our details are below.
Please note your claim number on the documents or subject line:
Fax: 1300 200 850
Postal: GPO Box 4451
Sydney NSW 2001
If you need assistance, or want to track your claim, call us on 1300 655 489 and quote your case number.
Home and Contents Insurance is issued by Westpac General Insurance Limited ABN 99 003 719 319 (except workers compensation cover where applicable). St.George – a Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 (the Bank) distributes the insurance, but does not guarantee the insurance. This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Read the Product Disclosure Statement, to see if this insurance is right for you.
Product Disclosure Statements (PDS)
- Home and Contents Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (Prepared 11 August 2015) (applicable to current policies initially issued on or after 26 October 2015)
- Home and Contents Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (Prepared 21 September 2013) (applicable to current policies last renewed before 28 December 2015)
- Home and Contents Insurance Product Disclosure Statement (Prepared 21 September 2013) and Supplementary Product Disclosure Statement (applicable to current policies last renewed on or after 28 December 2015)
Key Facts Sheets (KFS)
- Home Building Essential Care KFS (PDF 187kb)
- Home Contents Essential Care KFS (PDF 212kb)
- Home Building Quality Care KFS (PDF 188kb)
- Home Contents Quality Care KFS (PDF 212kb)
- Home Building Premier Care KFS (PDF 187kb)
- Home Contents Premier Care KFS (PDF 212kb)
1 This insurance is optional and not a condition of the loan. You can choose to cover your property with another insurer.
* Receive a 10% discount on your annual premiums when you combine both your home and contents at the same address under one policy.