Best practice guides
Visa® have developed three guides which outline best practices for credit card security:
Best practice for electronic commerce
Security is a key consideration for any ecommerce business. The Electronic Commerce Risk Management Merchant Best Practices Guide developed by Visa identifies best practices associated with the following areas of an ecommerce business:
- Ecommerce start-up strategies
- Website content
- Sales functionality
- Card acceptance practices
- Website tracking and analysis
- Fraud prevention and detection
- Data security
- Chargeback handling and loss recovery.
Best practice at the point of sale
There are a number of ways in which you can protect yourself and lower risk when accepting point of sale transactions. Visa's Point of Sale Procedures Merchant Guide provides information on how to:
- Accept Visa cards
- Identify Visa cards
- Authorise Transactions
- Avoid and reduce problems which may arise.
Download Visa's Point of Sale Procedures Merchant Guide
Transactions where credit card is not present
Although processing a transaction without sighting the customer's card can be risky, Visa has developed a Card Not Present Transactions Merchant Guide, which outlines the procedures you can follow to help minimise your risk.
This guide contains information on:
- General procedures
- Authorisation of transactions
- Things to consider regarding the delivery of goods or services
- Keeping documentation
- Processing transactions correctly.
Download Visa's Card Not Present Transactions Merchant Guide