Skip to main content Skip to accessibility page Skip to search input

Landlord Insurance

Flexible landlord insurance options to protect your investment property.

Save up to 25%

Buy online and save 15% off your annual premium for the first year with promotional code COVER. Plus, save another 10% when you combine building and contents located at the same address under one policy.

  • Protect your investment with Landlord Insurance tailored specifically for property investors
  • Choose from two levels of cover for Building and/or Contents to cover a wide range of insured events such as storm, fire, theft and flood
  • Add optional Landlord Extras to protect against malicious damage or theft by tenants or loss of rent
  • Fast and efficient claims assistance, 24/7.

Flexible Building and Contents cover

  • Insure your investment Building and/or Contents if it’s furnished 
  • Choose from 2 levels of cover: Essential Care or Quality Care

Malicious acts or theft

  • Add Landlord Extras to protect your Building and/or Contents against malicious acts and theft by problem tenants

Rent Default

  • Add Landlord Extras to cover against loss of rent under a written rental agreement if tenants default or vacates the property early without giving the required notice

Strata unit owners

  • Take out Contents cover for any structural improvements such as kitchens and bathrooms not covered by existing insurance

Wide range of insured events

  • Cover for fire, storm, burglary, malicious acts, explosion, flood, lightning, escape of liquids, falling trees or branches, earthquake and more


  • New-for-old replacement

Extra cover above and beyond sum insured

  • Demolition and removal of debris 
  • Cover for professional engineer or architect fees if damaged
  • Cover for cost of local or state authority requirements
  • Fire brigade and services charges

Legal liability cover

  • Up to $20 million

Pay by the month

  • Pay by the month with no monthly fee

How to reduce your premium

  • Save on your premium if you qualify for one or more of these discounts; combining your building and contents on one policy, not making any claims (no claim discount), and having an Advantage Package home loan
  • Some of your policy choices may also help reduce your premium; the higher the voluntary claim excess chosen, the lower your premium, a lower level of cover e.g. the premium for Essential Care is less than Quality Care, and installing security features (contents premium)

Choose your cover

Every investment property is different, so we offer you the flexibility to choose the right cover for your property, contents and situation.

Choose Building and/or Contents cover and, if you to add protection against damage or theft by tenants or rental default, Landlord Extras.

  • Building – covers your building against loss or damage
  • Contents – covers your landlord fittings or furniture against loss or damage
  • Landlord Extras – optional cover you can add to your Building or Contents policy to protect you against malicious damage or theft by tenants and loss of rent

Which cover?

Your property Building Contents Levels of cover Optional Landlord Extras
Unfurnished house     Essential Care Quality Care Add to Building
Furnished house     Essential Care Quality Care Add to Building/and or Contents
Furnished or Unfurnished unit     Essential Care Quality Care Add to Contents

Compare cover details

Landlord Building, Contents and Landlord Extras.

Choose your level of cover for Building and/or Contents To choose your level of cover, compare these key differences between Essential Care and Quality Care.

  • Essential Care - provides a basic level of cover to protect your Building and/or Contents against loss or damage 
  • Quality Care - covers your Building and/or Contents against loss or damage from a wider range of events with additional benefits 

Then choose whether to add optional Landlord Extras for protection against malicious acts by tenants and loss of rent. 

B = Included with Building cover
C = Included with Contents cover
LE = Included with Landlord Extras (add to Building and/or Contents)

Cover   Essential Care Quality Care Optional Landlord Extras
Loss or damage caused by storm, fire, theft, flood, lightning and more (insured events) BC     NA
Electrical motor burnout BC    For motors up to 15 years old NA
Accidental breakage of glass BC     NA
Landlord fittings (light fittings, carpets and window coverings under building insurance) B     NA
Loss of rent when the home is unliveable following an insured event BC    Up to 10% of the sum insured or the amount of lost rent up to 12 months, whichever is smaller NA
Legal Liability cover up to $20 million BC     NA
Malicious acts by your tenant LE      Up to the building and/or contents sum insured
Theft by your tenant LE      Up to the building and/or contents sum insured
Loss of rent due to tenant default LE      Up to $1,000 per week for up to 10 weeks

Above and beyond your sum insured, there’s extra cover included to get your property back to normal faster and reduce your risk of income loss. Check the PDS for details.

Additional benefits for strata title plan properties

  • Loss of rent if home unliveable up to $1,000 per week for up to 12 months from the insured event

How to apply

How to renew

  • Call 13 33 30
  • BPAY® using the biller code and reference number on the payment slip
  • Over the counter at an Australia Post office

How to make a claim


  • Call us immediately on 1300 655 489 – this is the fastest way to claim
  • If you prefer to lodge a written application yourself, you can download the Landlord Insurance claim form and send it to us with supporting documentation
  • Advise the police immediately if the damage is malicious, property has been stolen or lost or your home has been illegally entered
  • Do not allow anyone to repair the property until we have had a chance to inspect it.

Provide us with the following information

So we can assess your claim promptly, we may ask you to provide copies of:

  • Current tenancy agreement
  • A copy of the tenancy agreement for the new tenants (if applicable)
  • Rental payment receipts
  • Confirmation of your entitlement under the Rental Bond Board
  • Receipts for any expenses you have paid, such as cleaning.

It may not be necessary to complete a claim form when you claim. However, if required, you can download the Landlord Insurance claim form and send to:

General Insurance
Home and Contents Claims
GPO Box 4451
Sydney NSW 2001.

Making a claim over the phone

Step Action
1 Call us on 1300 655 489 Select option 1 for home and contents, then option 2 for new claims
2 If you are eligible to claim, we will complete and lodge your claim over the phone
3 We may send you a letter confirming what we require from you, your case number and if required a claim form
4 Send us your supporting documents and if you were sent a claim form, the completed claim form

How long does it take to settle a claim?

When we have all necessary information and have completed all investigation that was required to assess your claim, we will decide to accept or reject you claim and notify you of our decision within 10 business days.

Insurance claim help

If you need to send in documents relating to your claim, our details are below.

Please note your claim number on the documents or subject line:

Fax: 1300 200 850


Postal: GPO Box 4451

Sydney NSW 2001

If you need assistance, or want to track your claim, call us on 1300 655 489 and quote your case number.

How to apply

Important information

Cover is subject to your application for insurance being accepted.

# Safety net of between 5% and 30% of your sum insured, depending on your type of cover.

Landlord Insurance is issued by Westpac General Insurance Limited ABN 99 003 719 319 (except workers compensation cover where applicable). St.George – a Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 (the Bank) distributes the insurance, but does not guarantee the insurance. This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Read the Product Disclosure Statement, to see if this insurance is right for you. 

Product Disclosure Statements (PDS)

Financial Services Guide (FSG)