Home & Contents Insurance
What does Home and Contents Insurance cover?
Building insurance is designed to protect the physical structures and fixtures that make up your home buildings: from the house itself, to your garage, fences and paved driveways – even built-in appliances like hot water systems, air-conditioners and more.
Contents insurance protects the belongings you have at the insured address: from your furniture, carpet and appliances to your BBQ and even your clothes, shoes and handbags.
So, if any of the insured events happen during the period of insurance, we’ll generally pay to repair or replace your contents – up to the policy limits.
What you’re covered for
12 insured events
Cover against common events like fire, theft, storm, cyclones, flood and vandalism. A 72-hour exclusion period applies for loss or damage caused by cyclone, bushfires, grassfires, flood or flood water combined with run-off and rainwater.
Rebuilding and professional fees
If you need to rebuild your home after total loss or damage, St.George will help pay the reasonable costs of architects’, engineers’, surveyors’ and solicitors’ fees up to $5,000.
St.George will pay up to $1,000, to replace the locks or cylinders of any external door or window following an actual or attempted theft or burglary if the key is stolen or you believe the key has been copied.
In addition to your building sum insured, St.George will pay up to 10% of your building and/or contents sum insured for the removal of debris from the damaged or destroyed part of the buildings.
If your home is damaged by an insured event to the extent that you can’t live in it, we will help pay for temporary accommodation for you and your pets.
What’s not covered
Wear and tear
Wear and tear including depreciation, gradual deterioration, wear and tear or lack of maintenance.
Inherent defects including faulty design or materials, structural defects or poor workmanship.
Illegal contents or personal effects which are acquired illegally or are illegally held.
Soil movement including erosion, landslide, mudslide or subsidence unless it is directly caused by and occurs within 72 hours of an explosion, earthquake, tsunami, storm or flood.
For full details, of the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply please read the and the Home Building and Home Contents Key Fact Sheets (KFS) before making a decision to purchase the insurance.
Why St.George Insurance?
Frequently asked questions
If you buy St.George Home and Contents Insurance, your insurer will be Allianz Australia Insurance Limited. This means if you need to make a claim, Allianz will be there for you to help you get back on track as soon as possible. For more information about our distribution arrangement with Allianz, see the disclaimer below and our .
It’s up to you to decide the sums insured, and the type and level of cover that you want to take out. People generally want enough insurance to cover the property’s estimated replacement value. It’s important to have the right amount of insurance to cover the cost of replacing your home in today’s dollars if the unexpected happens. If you don’t have enough, you may have to cover some of the cost yourself and if you have too much, you may only be paid an amount that covers your loss. That's why we've provided these calculators. They work as guides to help you estimate the replacement value of your home building and contents. ^
Insurance purchased prior to 12 December 2021 (no longer for sale)
If you purchased your Insurance before 12 December 2021, here’s where you can find more information about your policy.
1. Online discount When you quote and buy a new home insurance policy online a discount of up to 10% is automatically applied to your first year’s premium including for Flood, and the following optional covers (if selected); Accidental damage, Motor Burnout and Portable Contents. This discount is not applied on renewal.
2. Minimum premiums If you are eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means any subsequent discount will be applied to the reduced premium amount after applying any prior discounts and the effect of the subsequent discount will be reduced. For example, the aggregate effect of applying two 10% discounts consecutively means that you will not see the full benefit of both these discounts. Discounts do not apply to taxes or government charges. Discounts do not apply to optional covers for Domestic workers’ compensation (if available and selected). Any discounts/entitlements may be subject to rounding and may only apply to the extent that any minimum premium is not reached.
3. Instalment premiums If you choose to pay your premium by instalments you do not pay us any more than if you pay your premium in one lump sum annually. The premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards or downwards) due to rounding. Note: Your financial institution may apply transaction fees to instalment payments.
4. Combined A premium discount of up to 10% for combining Building and Contents covers on one policy is applied for Building and Contents cover. This includes on optional covers for Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage, but not for Portable contents cover. This discount is not applied to the premium for Flood.
5. Policy holders need to ensure their personal details on their policy match with their St.George accounts. Only primary policyholders can see policies alongside their other St.George accounts.
St.George – A Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 (the Bank) can arrange the following insurance but does not guarantee it.
Product Disclosure Statements (PDS)
For the standard terms, conditions and exclusions about our Home & Landlord Insurance, please refer to the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and any supplementary PDS (if applicable). To see some of the events covered and not covered, please refer to our Key Fact Sheets (KFS).
Home and Contents Insurance is issued by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 (Allianz). St.George - a Division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL 233714 (the Bank) arranges the insurance under a distribution agreement with Allianz Insurance, but does not guarantee the insurance. This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Before making a decision, please consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement. For more information call 13 33 30.
If you take out Home and Contents Insurance with Allianz the Bank will receive a commission of up to 12% of the premium (exclusive of GST).
A target market determination has been made for this product. Please visit https://www.stgeorge.com.au/tmd for the target market determination.
- How you can access the personal information St.George holds about you and ask for it to be corrected;
- How you can complain about a breach of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) or a registered Code by St.George and how St.George will deal with your complaint; and
- How St.George collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in more detail.